Nov 3, 2022
As opposed to the other potential study abroad locations including, the United States, the United Kingdom and, Australia, many foreign students prefer Canada, since it provides several benefits that may not be present in other countries.
A. Working as an International Student:
- In Canada, foreign students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during breaks from classes. International students who are in Canada and who have off-campus work authorization on their study permit will not be restricted by the 20-hour-per-week rule starting from November 15, 2022, to December 31, 2023.
- UK - If you are studying in the UK as an international student, you are allowed to work for up to 20 hours maximum per week during term-time and full-time during holiday breaks.
- Australia - Students are allowed to work for only 20 hours per week or 40 hours per fortnightly. Until 30 June 2023, every international student, including both the current students and the new students, and secondary applicants will beable to work for more than 40 hours a fortnight in any sector of the economy and work before the commencement of the study program.
- USA - An F-1 student has three important employment-related guidelines: (i) May work at any qualifying on-campus job that does not displace a U.S. citizen or LPR. (ii) May work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session (full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the annual vacation). (iii) An F-1 student must show an ability to afford the costs of school and living expenses before entering the United States and should not plan to work off-campus.
B. Cost of Studying for International Students:
- Even for international students, the costs associated with studying in Canada are typically lower than those in other nations.In the 2021/22 school year, the average annual tuition fee for an undergraduate degree program in Canada was CAD33,623($24,710)and CAD20,120($14,786) for a graduate degree program for an international student.
- Universities in America are majorly divided into two categories -Public/State and Private. The education cost at a public/state university is comparatively lesser than that of a private institution. Your expenditure on tuition fee depends on the type of qualification and university or school you opt for. To cover tuition fees, you will need approx. $20,000 to $55,000 a year (indicative).
- On average, the annual tuition fees in Australia for a bachelor’s degree may vary from AUD 9,000 to AUD 50,000,($19,500) and the fees for a master’s degree may range from AUD 9,000 to AUD 54,000($21,000).
- For international students in U.K., tuition fees start from approximately £10,000 (or $14,130) up to £38,000 (or approximately $53,700) for specialized degrees in medicine and other disciplines.
C. Other benefits for International Students in Canada:
- In Canada, an international student may be accompanied by his/her spouse or common-law partner.
- In addition, spouses and partners are eligible to apply for open work permits that provide them with the freedom to choose the employers and the hours they want to work.
- The main cities in Canada are included in the QS World University Rankings' list of the best cities for students, with Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto topping the list globally.
- On an open post-graduation work permit, graduates may study in Canada before working there for up to three years.
- Canada provides many pathways to permanent residency for overseas students and graduates.
- International students are permitted to credit time spent on a study permit toward their permanent residency.
How to find the best college or university for you?
If you wish to study in Canada, there are hundreds of universities from which to select. You may already have a general concept of the academic fields that interest you or a preference for a certain institution or setting.
- Universities Canada has a large database from which to start your search.
- A tool for finding study programmes is also available from Colleges and Institutes Canada.
- The magazine Maclean's provides some excellent guidance on picking the best college or institution.
Our experts at Across Border Visa Inc. can help you select the best program and a public college or university to study and earn a diploma or degree hassle-free.
Make sure the institution you apply for admission is a DLI
As an international student, you need a Canadian Study Permit to study a program longer than six months.
- You must confirm that your chosen institution is public and recognised as a DLI (Designated Learning Institute) by the provincial government.
- You have to check that the chosen college allows you to apply for a post-graduation work permit.
- Getting an acceptance letter from a DLI is a crucial step in the whole process of studying in the country.
- A study permit cannot be issued without an acceptance letter.
Language proficiency, funds for tuition fees and GIC, medical, and other requirements must be met by the applicant to get a study permit finally.
Moreover, if you are interested in studying in Canada, our certified experts will help you every step of the way to start your studies in the country. You will get a free consultation and assessment to choose the best program and a DLI to make your dream come true.